• Industry’s first UL-certified, comprehensive electric vehicle (EV) charging offering gives drivers practical recharging solutions for use in a wide array of locations
• EV infrastructure solutions for home, public and commercial use currently being deployed to states, businesses, utilities and homes across America
• Industry’s first UL-listed fast charge systems can charge EVs in minutes
MONROVIA, Calif., July 11, 2011 – AeroVironment (NASDAQ: AVAV) today announced that with the recent certification of its EV fast charging system, it now has received certification and listing from the Underwriters Laboratories (UL) for six groundbreaking electric vehicle (EV) charging systems, a significant milestone for the expanding EV industry. UL is one of the most widely recognized independent product safety certification organizations in the world.
All six charging systems—including AeroVironment’s fast charging system, which can provide a full EV recharge in less than 30 minutes – have passed hundreds of trials as part of UL’s stringent testing program. AeroVironment is the first company to provide a full lineup of chargers listed with UL, expanding the possibilities for both home and public charging in a multitude of locations so that drivers can refuel their EVs with confidence, no matter where they are. UL certification of an entire suite of charging solutions is a major landmark for the industry and is a critical step before putting charging products of all types into consumers’ hands.
AeroVironment’s UL-listed product offering includes smart grid-enabled home charging stations; commercial AC charging stations; high-power DC fast charging stations that can fully charge a vehicle in minutes; and a standard 120 Volt AC charging cord that can be used with every EV and plug-in hybrid (PHEV). Public and commercial charging stations offer point-of-sale payment options and smart-grid connectivity.
“UL certification is a critical milestone that can take companies months or even years to secure,” said Mike Bissonette, senior vice president and general manager of AeroVironment’s Efficient Energy Systems business segment. “Today, we’re the first and only company in the industry to have developed such a broad line of UL-certified EV charging products for deployment to customers across the nation. As a result, AeroVironment charging systems will be available in many more locations. This is important because drivers want a safe, convenient and reliable way to refuel their vehicle, wherever and whenever it’s needed.”
In addition to these core products, AeroVironment offers hardware and software systems that round out the line – an EV infrastructure “ecosystem” that takes a 360-degree approach to meeting the EV driver’s every need. Additional systems include EVBoost™, a roadside assistance charging system for repair and tow service companies, and Web and mobile phone applications that link drivers remotely to their charging network for route planning and wireless payment.
AeroVironment is the provider of charging solutions – including hardware, consulting services, installation, and back-end support – to BMW, NRG Energy, Nissan, the State of Hawaii and the State of Oregon, where the company will be deploying fast chargers to transform the Interstate-5 into North America’s premier “Green Highway.” Thousands of AeroVironment’s charging systems have been deployed in 25 states and hundreds of communities across the United States.
AeroVironment’s UL-listed product suite includes:
• Home AC charging station (EVSE-RS)
• Home AC charging station with smart grid capability (EVSE-RS+)
• Commercial AC charging station – with smart grid capability (EVSE-CS)
• Public DC fast charging station – with smart grid capability (EV50-PS)
• Fleet DC fast charging station – with smart grid capability (EV50-FS)
• 120VAC cord standard charging cord - can be used with all EVs and PHEVs (EVSE-CT)